Swanson Reed’s Academic Research
TaxTrex was the result of academic research published in The Tax Adviser into the R&D claim process. It was designed specifically to help CPAs and their clients document the R&D process in line with the requirements of the IRS and recent case law.
Three surveys, completed in real-time, prompt the taxpayer to document the following information:
- The level of information at the commencement of the project
- The identification and discovery of new information that is also technological in nature
- The identification of products, processes, computer software, techniques, formulas or inventions
- The identification of uncertainty
- The identification of one or more alternatives intended to eliminate the uncertainty
- The identification of a process of evaluating the alternatives
- The relationship between the Qualified Research Activities (QRAs) and Qualified Research Expenses (QREs)
This research was published in a leading tax journal, The Tax Adviser.